10 Things to do at Home to Feel More Peaceful
As the weeks have progressed and now more and more people are staying home to keep themselves and their communities safe from the Corona virus, you might be thinking about what to do. Without work and all of the usual activities, you might find yourself at a standstill where you might be feeling more bored or you might be looking for new and interesting things to do to fill your time. So today, I am going to introduce a few ideas of things to do at home which should help you feel more peaceful and content with the whole situation around us.
1. Coloring: Coming back to our childlike nature, coloring in a coloring book can be a great way to pass the time in a relaxing manner. Recently, they have even started selling adult coloring books because people have caught on to the therapeutic benefits of coloring. Don't you remember, even in school if the class was getting out of hand, the teacher would often pass out coloring sheets just to calm the children down. So coloring can be a great way for all of us now to relax and pass the time during the long days at home.
2. Cooking: Believe it or not, cooking can be a really therapeutic activity when you are not in a hurry and when you are cooking something that you really like. Baking for example can be a great way to pass the time and to enjoy some tasty snacks! Now is the best time to experiment with new recipes that you have been dying to try and improve your skills in the kitchen so you can impress your friends once social distancing practices are over!
3. Meditation: Whenever you wake up is the perfect time to practice a short meditation. If you are unsure about which meditation to do, you can always find a recording on YouTube to follow. Whether you are simply witnessing the breath or focusing on something even deeper, meditation is a great way to clear the mind and feel more calm and centered for the rest of the day. It is a great opportunity to start your day off fresh with meditation in order to feel more peaceful and happy for the rest of the day.
4. Yoga: Practicing yoga at home can be a great way to dive deeper into your practice without all of the rush and distractions of being in a scheduled class with a lot of other people. You can really take your time and enjoy each and every pose. You can listen deeper to your body and discover how each pose evolves and how it really feels in the body. You can feel more peaceful, take your time to be present and really breathe. Try out some new poses and follow some new flows in a virtual yoga class. Or simply stick with your regular routine and go even deeper!
5. Reading: Reading books can be incredibly relaxing and peaceful. Imagine curling up on your comfy couch, under a blanket and reading a real page turner or something that is really thought provoking. When we read books, it can take us to another world where we are able to engage our imagination and experience the wonder and richness of language on another level. So take a look at what great books are out there which could peak your interest in these times where now you have a lot of time to gel out and read.
6. Gardening: Get outside, get your hands in the dirt and feel the warm sunshine! Now is a perfect time for planting seeds, so get out there and get planting. Many vegetables can grow very easily, all you have to do is plant the seeds and then water them! Try to plant a variety of seeds of fruits, veggies and herbs which you can use in your cooking. Also, you can plant some flowers to attract butterflies and bees which can help pollinate your crops!
7. Dancing: Dancing can be a very therapeutic activity for anyone! You don't have to be an amazing dancer or anything, just play some music that inspires you and get your body moving! You can go outside and enjoy the fresh air while bumping some exciting tunes and just let loose. Dance can help you relieve stress, feel great and happy!
8. Soaking in the tub with some nice tunes: What could be more relaxing than laying in a hot bath tub filled with bath salts, essential oils and bubbles. There is something about hot water which helps to relax us while there are also tremendous benefits to some essential oils which can help us relax even more. Listen to some relaxing music and maybe even read a book. Just melt into the water and let your worries wash away.
9. Look through some happy photos and memories: What better time than now to get out the photo albums and feel happy looking at old photos of your family and friends. You can reminisce on the good old days and enjoy reliving these memories or even watching some old home videos. What could be more relaxing and stress relieving than this! Enjoy the good old days and priceless memories :)
10. Tai Chi or Qigong: These are very gentle, ancient practices which help channel your energy and allow you to feel more mental focus. Here you combine rhythmic breathing with a series of postures and flowing movements. It can help improve flexibility and balance as well as allowing your racing thoughts to quiet down.
So as the month of April progresses and people all over the world are staying home, don't be afraid, anxious or bored. Just work on yourself and do the things which make you feel more happy and peaceful. Find the hobbies that suit you and do the things that you enjoy! Enjoy the free time, be grateful for it and take it as an opportunity to do the things which you have been wanting to do but you haven't had time for. And remember, you can always book your next yoga retreat to retreat yourself once all of the travel bans are lifted and people have more freedom again.